Hummus is a nutritious, protein-packed snack that can be modified in countless ways. Instead of a plain chickpea base, add roasted carrots and fun toppings for good measure. Pickled red onions add a refreshing touch to earthy hummus, and crunchy pan-fried chickpeas add texture to an otherwise smooth and heavy dish.
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and roasted
- 1 (400-gram) can of chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon, around 2-3 tablespoons, or to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, for topping
- 2 tablespoons picked red onions, for topping
- 1/3 cup pan-fried chickpeas, for topping
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, for topping
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 Prepare the pan-fried chickpeas: In a small frying pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place 1/3 cup chickpeas into the pan, season with salt and pepper, and fry until crunchy. Set aside.
- 2 Roast the carrot: Slice the carrot into 4 equal pieces. Lay them onto a piece of foil and season with salt and pepper. Add a light drizzle of olive oil, wrap in foil completely, then roast in an oven or toaster oven set at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3 Drain the canned chickpeas over a sieve and set the sieve over a heatproof bowl. Using a thermos or pot, pour hot water over the chickpeas to rinse off the “canned” aftertaste. Reserve 2 to 3 tablespoons of the hot water.
- 4 In a large food processor, add the rinsed chickpeas, roasted carrot, tahini, lemon juice, garlic cloves, olive oil, and hot water. Blend until slightly combined. Season with smoked paprika, salt, and pepper, and blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning to your taste and blend until you reach your desired consistency. You may opt to add more hot water, olive oil, or lemon juice to make a smoother or lighter hummus.
- 5 Spoon the hummus over a large bowl and top with sunflower seeds, roasted chickpeas, pickled red onions, and flat-leaf parsley. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top and serve with toasted pita, nacho chips, or toasty bread.