I have been craving dumplings a lot these past couple of weeks, so I decided to make these delicious dumplings with prawn and chives fillings. I usually make everything from scratch, including the dumpling wrappers, but with work and university being a little bit busier and crazier than usual, those ready-made wrappers from the Chinese grocery store became my saviour. None-the-less they still tasted amazing! The dumplings were served with Chinese black vinegar, a little bit of sesame oil and thin slices of ginger. You are more than welcome to dip them with any of your favourite sauces such as chilli sauce and soy sauce.
* A little tip for wrapping the dumplings: check out tutorial videos on Youtube on how to wrap these little dumplings. There are so many ways to wrap them, and you just have to pick your favourite shape!
- 1 pack of ready-made dumpling wrapper (usually about 30 pieces)
- 500g of prawn, peeled, deveined and minced
- 1 bunch garlic chives, finely sliced
- 1 cup water chestnut, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 6 leaves savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 cm ginger, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dipping sauce: 3 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and some thin-long sliced ginger
- 1 Mix all the ingredients except the wrapper.
- 2 To wrap the dumplings, place one wrapper on your palm. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon of prawn minces mixture onto the center of the wrapper. Brush the edges of the wrapper with cold water using your finger. Fold the wrapper in half, so you have a moon shape and fold the edges carefully to seal.
- 3 Bring half a pot of water to boil and make sure to cook the dumplings in batches of 8-10 to avoid overcrowding. Cook the dumplings until they float to the surface, then add ¼ cup of cold water and continue to boil dumplings until they float again to ensure they are cooked inside.
- 4 Serve the dumplings on a plate with the Chinese black vinegar and sliced ginger on the side.