I love making pesto because I always tend to make a big batch of it and add it to different things such as my balsamic mushroom, sandwiches and wraps! However, my most favourite way to enjoy this homemade pesto is with pasta. What is better than when you get homemade pesto, garlicky prawns, chilli flakes, cherry tomatoes and spaghettini all in one? Delish!!!!! You are also welcome to substitute the prawns with sliced chicken breast as an alternative.
Serves 2 portions
Ingredients for pesto:
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- ¼ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 250g of packet spaghettini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 10 prawns, peeled and deveined
- ½ teaspoon of chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- A handful of fresh basil leaves and rockets for garnishing
- To make the pesto, place the basil leaves, pine nuts, one clove of garlic, salt and Parmesan into the food processor and pulse till finely chopped.
- While the motor is still running, slowly add in the ¼ cup of olive oil until it is well combined.
- Add the lemon juice at the end to add some tanginess to the pesto. Place the pesto into a bowl.
- Cook the spaghettini according to the packaging. Drain and leave the pasta in the pot to stay warm.
- Heat the pan over medium heat with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the finely chopped garlic to the pan and stir till slightly brown.
- Add in the prawn and pan-fry each side for a minute. While the prawns are cooking, add the halved cherry tomatoes on the flat side down and cook for about a minute.
- Add the drained pasta into the pan along with 4 tablespoons of pesto and chilli flakes. Mix well and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Divide the spaghettini into two plates and garnish with fresh basil, rockets and an extra tablespoon of pesto on each plate.
Serve immediately and enjoy!