Arguably one of the most popular street food dishes in Thailand, Pad Kra Pao Gai (Thai Chicken Stir Fry with Fried Egg) is found everywhere in the country. It’s an extremely versatile dish, which can be eaten in basically any time of the day; breakfast lunch, or dinner. It has the full spectrum of flavors, with it being sweet, savory and spicy all at the same time. The addition of basil at the end really invigorates the dish, with the flavors heightened further by the addition of a crispy fried egg and garlic rice.
Spice it up by adding a dash of Sriracha and slices of lime for an extra kick!
- 1 cup white rice, cooked
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 150 grams chicken breast
- 2 pieces bird's eye chili
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 3 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- A handful of basil
- Sriracha, as needed
- Lime juice, as needed
- 1 Cut chicken into half inch cubes, place in a bowl, and sprinkle with a dash of salt.
- 2 Leave chicken in the fridge for 1 hour.
- 3 Mince 1 garlic clove for garlic rice.
- 4 Pound 2 cloves of garlic with chilis in a mortar and pestle.
- 5 Combine oyster sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- 6 Fry egg in enough oil to cover the sides and crisp the edges, making sure the egg yolk is still runny. Set aside.
- 7 For the garlic rice, sauté garlic in a pan with 1 tbsp oil.
- 8 When the garlic starts to turn brown, add 1 tsp salt and 1 cup white rice. Stir fry for 2 minutes and then set aside.
- 9 For the chicken, add 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Stir fry garlic and chili paste until fragrant.
- 10 Add the chicken breasts and stir fry until chicken is nearly cooked.
- 11 Add the sauce mixture and allow to caramelize.
- 12 Turn off the heat and throw in a handful of basil. Stir.
- 13 Finish with a sprinkle of lime juice and sriracha, to taste.