This meatballs in gravy recipe is bound to be a family favorite. Hefty meatballs and flavor-packed gravy over hot, steaming rice? Yes, please! This is also a great recipe to try if you’re a beginner at home cooking—it’s straightforward, fuss-free, and low maintenance.
- 500g ground beef
- 500g ground pork
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- Flour, to coat meatballs
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (for the gravy)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (for the gravy)
- 1 large white onion, chopped (for the gravy)
- 2 laurel leaves (for the gravy)
- Water (for the gravy)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (for the gravy)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (for the gravy)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (for the gravy)
- 1 Combine the ground beef and ground pork in a large bowl until well combined. Add the eggs, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, tomato ketchup, and onion and mix until just combined.
- 2 Scoop the mixture by heaping tablespoons and roll them into balls. Roll the meatballs in flour to coat them completely.
- 3 In a deep frying pan or kawali, heat cooking oil until hot enough for deep-frying. Deep-fry the meatballs until they are slightly golden brown. Place the cooked meatballs over a strainer to get rid of the extra oil.
- 4 In a large pot, sauté garlic in olive oil until golden brown. Add the chopped onions, along with the laurel leaves and cook until the onions are translucent. Place meatballs into the pot and add enough water to coat the meatballs. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Stir to combine all the ingredients and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.