Many are drawn to McDonald’s simply for one order: McNuggets. These crispy and crunchy nuggets are anyone’s go-to fast food, and this is not just among children. It’s easy to eat, it’s delicious, and it goes so well with fries.
Filipinos especially are fans of nuggets. There are many pre-made or frozen chicken nuggets available in supermarkets across the country. However, real nugget connoisseurs know that none of these nuggets even compare to what McDonald’s makes. McNuggets are crunchy, but the breading doesn’t separate from the meat. The chicken is springy and ground, but it doesn’t feel like your usual ground chicken formed into a patty.
These are the qualities that I aimed for when recreating the famed nuggets in my own kitchen studio. Watch the video below!
Here’s what I learned: I was able to get the flavor all right, but my coating was nowhere near the McDonald’s one. I also didn’t get the texture of the meat right, but that can be achieved with a food processor.
Want to get a Delonghi Deep Fryer just like mine? Check out their FB here.
Thinking of making your own chicken nuggets at home? This is the recipe I would recommend:
- 4 boneless chicken breasts with skin, ground finely
- 3 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsps salt
- 2 tsps white pepper
- 1 tbsp black beans
- Put everything in a food processor and blitz until you get a paste like consistency. Shape into nuggets.
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- Dredge each nugget into this dry mix, coat very lightly, place on a tray and freeze.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsps of flour
- 6 tbsps of cornstarch
- 1/4 cup of whole milk
- Dip your frozen nugget into egg wash, let it drip off slightly, and then immediately fry or you can try freezing them again and then frying.
- Deep Fry at 175c. for about 5-7 mins.
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 Canned Peach Juice
- 1/2 Canned Pineapple Juice
- 4 tbsp soy sauce Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Cook down on a low simmer, until thick, about 40 minutes.
What do you guys think? Will you try these at home? Send me photos of your nuggets by tagging them with #thefatkidinside!