Pavlova is a dessert popular in New Zealand and Australia. It’s a triple-kill combo when it comes to texture: a crisp crust, a soft mallowy core, and a light and airy topping. Baking this requires only the simplest of ingredients, ones that you probably already have in your kitchen. All it takes is precision, the right technique, and some patience. Top this sweet dessert off with any fresh berries or fruit that you like. In this recipe, we kept to a tropical theme with passionfruit, coconut, and mangoes.
For the base, I used a standard meringue recipe. I whipped it into stiff peaks, and set it on parchment paper. This is probably the only ‘heavy lifting’ that you will do for the entire recipe. What’s left to do is wait for it to bake and cool. Lastly, I filled in the rest of the cake with whipped cream and topped it off with passionfruit, coconut, and mangoes. Pretty simple, right? You can watch how I make it here:
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe.
Your environment is a huge factor in the outcome of your baked dishes. Particularly with the weather here in the Philippines, ingredients tend to draw moisture from the hot and humid environment. This is especially true when it comes to making meringues. Sugar easily absorbs moisture and will prevent you from reaching stiff peaks. I’m able to successfully make this dessert by setting my kitchen in a cool and wind-free environment. The Samsung Wind-Free airconditioner helps me keep the temperature in my kitchen just right for baking.
If you have the time, try out this simple recipe! Which dessert should we try next? Leave it in the comment box below.
- 6 egg whites
- 350 grams caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 600ml cream
- For toppings:
- coconut meat
- 1 Separate 6 egg whites.
- 2 Whip egg whites on medium speed.
- 3 Slowly add caster sugar until mixture forms soft peaks.
- 4 Add lemon juice, cornstarch, and vanilla. Continue to whip mixture until it forms stiff peaks.
- 5 Set the mixture on parchment paper, piling it up and spreading it out evenly until it is at least 22cm in diameter.
- 6 Make a small well in the middle to make space for the whipped cream and toppings.
- 7 Bake in the oven at 130°C for 1 hr and 5 mins.
- 8 Turn off the oven, and let cool inside the oven for at least 2 hours.
- 9 Fill in the cake with whipped cream.
- 10 Top it off with sliced mangoes, passionfruit, and coconut.