Kale and Dark Chocolate Paleo Cake
Mention Valentine’s day and the first thing that will come to mind is chocolate. From cake to pralines, there’s a lot of variations but only a few are romantic, sexy and most importantly healthy enough to be served as a dessert.
For me, nothing beats having a dark decadent chocolate flourless cake to satisfy my sweet tooth. I’ve made it into a healthier version by substituting traditional ingredients, using honey to sweeten and coconut oil for a moist and fudge-like texture. I do love adding espresso powder when baking chocolate cakes as it adds depth to the flavor. Lately, I also have been adding kale to everything for that extra boost of antioxidants and having it on this dessert is not an exception.
Try making this easy-to-make, yummy & paleo-friendly dessert this Valentine’s day. Your date will positively love your thoughtfulness. :)
Kale & Dark Chocolate Paleo Cake
Makes one 8” round cake
115 grams dark chocolate
1/2 cup coconut oil (or unsalted butter if you have none)
1/4 cup cocoa powder or carob powder
3/4 cup honey
3 pcs large eggs
1 tsp espresso powder
1/2 tbsp kale powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 190 degrees C. Grease an 8” round springform pan generously with coconut oil or butter.
2. Place the chocolate and oil or butter in a bowl and gently melt it over a double boiler. Stir until smooth.
3. Add your cocoa powder, honey, eggs, espresso powder and kale powder. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap gently to remove bubbles on the surface.
5. Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes or until the center looks firm. Let it cool and remove the sides of the springform pan gently.
6. Feel free to serve however you like. Dust with extra cocoa powder on top, with vanilla ice cream or with a dollop of whipped custard cream and strawberries on the side. Enjoy! :)