Rocky Road Cookie – yes, that’s right, with Snickers too
By Carmela Villegas of Casa San Luis
This is probably the most sinful cookie bar ever made!! Those who are on a strict no carbs or no sugar diets should just feast with their eyes. I know, what a terrible thing to say. However, we are talking about soul food this week, so maybe through your eyes you can nourish your soul? Quite an abstract statement. Still very much absurd.
This bar is very handy to have around in the kitchen for those unexpected visitors. Warm it up in the microwave for 5 seconds and place it on top of a scoop of ice cream.
This recipe is also very easy to make. You can make it by hand with a wooden spoon and just 1 mixing bowl. It’s child friendly so you can have your little helpers around while you do this recipe. Just a piece of advice, don’t finish the marshmallow and chocolate before it’s time to use them.
Rocky Road’s main ingredients are Marshmallow, Milk Chocolate and Nuts. I chose to use Snicker bars in this recipe because it cuts the prep time down considerably. You may use milk chocolate and add walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts if you wish.
Some nerdy fact: Did you know that the name of this dessert is derived from the “Rocky Roads” travellers took to get to the gold mines in Australia. (The Fat Kid Inside note: “I totally knew this……..”)
Rocky Road Cookie Bar
2 ¼ C All Purpose Flour
2 tsps Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
½ C Unsalted Butter
1 ½ C Packed Dark Brown Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 C Marshmallows
2 ½ C Chopped Snickers Bar
1 C White chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Lightly butter a baking pan. Line with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang on the longer sides. Brush parchment with butter. You can use foil as well.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, mix butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl until fluffy, about 2 mins.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Mix in dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in half of each of the marshmallows, chocolate bar and white chocolate.
- Spread batter in prepared pan. Scatter remaining marshmallows, chocolate bar and white chocolate on top.
- Bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let it cool on a wire rack. Lift out of pan and transfer to a baking sheet. Refrigerate until set, at least 30mins.