By Jessi Singson
Being busy juggling university work, exercising, and every other average 20-year old activity possible, it can get a little difficult to get my 2 and 5 a day. 2 serves of fruit, and 5 serves of veggies, that is. I’m sure you guys know how I feel. And that is just the minimum!
To make sure I start my day right, I almost always reach for my blender first thing in the morning. Green smoothies are the way to go! They’re a simple way to get all that raw, nutritious goodness in your system.
Not only can you pack a lot of fruits in there, but it’s also a great way to get those extra servings of leafy greens in every day (which are good for you because of all the minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and phytonutrients they contain!). You won’t taste them at all. These smoothies can help with boosting energy, weight loss, improving your immune system, and are just all around amazing.
A lot of people have been asking me about the green smoothies I post (Instagram: @juiceboost, throwing in a shameless “follow me!” right here!), so here’s my favourite go-to recipe:
1-2 cups spinach
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
1-2 teaspoons almond/peanut butter
½ cup water
- Blend the spinach and water first
- Add everything else (except the chia seeds and goji berries) and blend until smooth
- Add more water, depending on the consistency you want
- Stir in the chia seeds
- Top with goji berries and enjoy!
This is my absolute favourite, but my daily smoothies usually depend on whatever fruits I pick up at the market every couple of days.
Another of my favourite healthy breakfast alternatives is overnight oats. You prepare them the night before, leave them in the fridge overnight and grab them for a quick bite the next morning. No cooking involved! I like to top my overnight oats with whatever smoothie I make that morning too. Superfood cccombo!
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup Greek yogurt
½ banana, sliced
- Mix equal parts oats, milk and yogurt together
- Add bananas, chia seeds, and a pinch of cinnamon (the mix-ins are entirely up to you at this point – berries, apples, etc.)
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight
- Top with some nut butter, something for texture like muesli, or both, and enjoy!